Tuesday, February 28, 2012

I am a Product of EOP by Maria Melon

I sit in my class with other students, mostly traditional and the topic of EOP continually comes up. Most of my traditional classmates either get mad about the EOP Program, don’t know what it is, or  simply think the EOP program is unfair. But all I can think is, 'What isn't fair about the program? It’s not fair that society is built to keep us “EOP students” out of college! If it wasn't for EOP, we wouldn't have the opportunity to attend and afford college! You're mad because those who are not as privileged are able to get the same education as you?? Now that's not fair!
I love that I am a part of the my EOP family because not only has it helped me and guided me through my college experience these past four years but the staff members treat you as if your apart of their family. EOP Counselors help find each student free tutors for classes they are struggling with,help with searching for classes each semester, help spread information about internships, and most of all, EOP Counselors are an ear to listen when you need it. The complex is like our home away from home, it’s that comfort zone for a lot of students.
I am currently a Senior due to graduate in May. I've been a part of the EOP family since my freshman year (Fall 08’) at the University and I am so grateful to those who made this program possible! It allowed students like myself, who are not so privilege, to still be able to make it to college and graduate! So the next time you find yourself in a classroom and the topic of EOP comes up, let’s remind student's who do not know or understand our program, what EOP has done for us individually and as a collective family. I am proud to be EOP.

No comments:

Post a Comment